I'm not big on year-end resolutions, big plans and the like. But, I have to share a post from my friend Rich Christiansen.
In his latest post on the Bootstrap blog, Rich talks about his relationship with Ray Noorda, founder of Novell. It's a cool story about how one man formed a strong company culture by his own leadership through story, connection and love.
This is a list of qualities that Rich took away from Noorda's funeral…
- Believe and trust in people.
- We all have a responsibility in life. Be faithful to it.
- Customers first, employees second, shareholders third.
- Be unassuming.
- Listen, especially with your heart.
- Practice integrity.
- Be loyal.
- Be true to your own core beliefs, but recognize the need to compromise within parameters that don’t violate those beliefs.
- Respect the individual, not the title.
- Marriage is ordained of God, and is your first priority in life.
- Practice fiscal responsibility.
- Take care of your health.
- Willingly forgive others’ mistakes and shortcomings.
- Retain your dignity, no matter the circumstances.
- Give something back.
Be sure to go read the entire story on the Bootstrap Business Blog.
Have a Happy New Year!