We took the kids down to LA to see the La Brea Tar Pits on our way to a graduation party for a friend. As we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed (couldn’t help but notice) that about half of the parking lot had been taken up by a bunch of studio production vehicles. There were big tents set up with caterers. People all over the place carrying big lights and cables. Generator trucks, gear all over the place, including INSIDE the museum. As we wandered through the exhibits there were big movie lights and tri-pods stacked to the sides. Somebody is spending big bucks on this deal.
Kind of exciting! Looks like they’re shooting a movie! Maybe we’ll see some famous stars!
As we’re buying a few trinkets at the gift store, I casually asked the cashier what was going on…y’know, in my best nonchalant style to show that I’m hip and cool.
"Wal-Mart Commercial" was his response.
"C’mon kids…let’s get to the graduation party."
Goes to show, you can’t cut corners on production values when you’re trying to convince the world that you’re the low-cost solution to everything.
Love it Dave, you guys really get around!
Do you guys stay to watch the shoot if?
1) There were recognizable stars in the commercial but it was still for Walmart.
2) They asked your family to be extras on the shoot but it was still for Walmart
3) There were no stars in the commercial but it was for Apple.
1. I doubt it.
2. They wouldn’t ask…we usually disguise ourselves as wide-eyed lost hayseeds from a small town. You’d be amazed at the kind of help and special treatment you can get by milking helplessness.
3. That would be a good ad. 5,000 years into the future, we dug thousands of Dells and Gateways from the tar, yet no Macs were found buried.
Dude, now I wanna see the commercial…make sure you get an In n Out burger while you’re out there though…
Mark, we eat at In’n’Out about once a day. We start on our drive out here by stopping in Las Vegas. I can probably tell you the exits for every one of them from Santa Barbara to Disneyland.
I’ve been to one in Vegas, Barstow, San Bernadino and all over south Orange county…ya’ll may have me beat!…
Now how can I get my hands on a double-double without buying a plane ticket?